Current Job Openings
Part-Time Library Assistant
The Library Assistant is a part-time position. The Library Associate provides patrons with services and information at the library Circulation Desk, including checking library materials in/out and answering procedural/directional questions. Other duties are described below.
Schedule: 15 to 20 hours per week; between the hours of 9 AM and 6 PM Tuesday through Friday. Some Saturdays required, 10 AM-2 PM.
Duties of the library assistant may include all of the following:
● Performs all Circulation Desk duties including checking in and out materials using the library's automated patron
database/catalog system (Destiny), maintains patron records, and explains library policies to patrons.
● Assists patrons with reference questions and readers’ advisory
● Generates and files new registrations and Internet Usage Agreements according to established procedures.
● Maintains confidentiality of the library and its patrons
● Provides technological assistance to patrons, including computer help, printing and faxing
● Collects fees for printing, faxing, book replacement, etc. and records collections according to established procedures.
● Maintains cash records and closes cash drawer at the end of the day
● Assists patrons with accessing eBooks and eAudiobooks
● Shelves materials and engages in shelf reading (maintenance and straightening)
● Compiles and keeps appropriate statistics and records
● Generates and promotes children, teen, and adult programming opportunities
● Generates new eye-catching displays and bulletin boards
● Contacts patrons regarding overdue materials
● Generates bills for non-returned items
● Processes incoming new materials
● Maintains the library’s cleanliness - vacuuming, dusting, cleaning windows and bathroom, taking out trash; as well as
ensuring safe entry by shoveling snow and de-icing as necessary
● Performs minor repairs on damaged materials
● Performs Inter-Library Loan searches and requests for our patrons and fills other libraries’ requests for our materials
● Performs and oversees opening and closing procedures and all aspects of the Circulation Desk when on solo duty
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● High School Diploma or equivalent
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Excellent customer service skills
● Working knowledge of library methods and procedures
● Computer and data entry skills with a high degree of accuracy using Microsoft office and/or Google Drive (spreadsheets,
word processing, and email).
● Excellent interpersonal skills and problem-solving abilities in working with patrons and staff.
● Ability to deal with library patrons with tact and diplomacy
● Ability to organize and prioritize tasks as necessary
● Ability to work unsupervised.
Physical Demands of Position:
● Lifting and carrying - 50 pounds or less
● Good hearing and vision
● Climbing, reaching, stooping
● Pushing and pulling objects weighing 60-80 pounds on wheels
Required For Consideration: Completed Job Application and Resume
Salary: $9.45/hour with a 6 month probationary period